Monday, July 14, 2008

Ve'ulai (Oh Kinneret Sheli)-Everything's Coming Up Broza

Today we had the pleasure of having one of Israel's most beloved singer/songwriters, David Broza, record his version of a truly classic pioneer song, dedicating the performance to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
Broza’s mother, Sharona Aron, was one of Israel’s first folksingers, and the first to also play guitar. She hosted American folk legends like Pete Seeger, Odetta, and Harry Belafonte at their home when David was a kid.
"I learned Ve'ulai from my mother", David explained.


                                                                SHARONA ARON

"I had never recorded it, so I jumped on the chance to contribute the track to Pioneers for a Cure".
Ve'ulai was written by one of modern Israel's first poets,  Rachel Bluwstein Sela, better known as "Rahel" 

The music was written by Yehuda Shertok Sharet


Veulai lo hayu hadvarim meolam
Veulai lo hishkamti im shachar lagan
Le'avdo beze'at apay...
Shel Kinneret sheli, hoy Kinneret sheli
Heyayit o chalamti chalom

I never rose at dawn to plant the fields with my
own
hands
And perhaps these things never happened
Never did I purify myself in your azure waters
Perhaps it was a dream, my Kinneret.

2 comments:

DJM said...

I didn't know that about David's Mom. Check out the video clip from the session at http://pioneers4acure.blogspot.com/
Enjoy!

DJM said...

Oops! I referenced the wrong blog. Sorry. Here's the link.
http://cancersongs4cure.blogspot.com/